Helping young people to achieve a constructive and rewarding adulthood is the overarching goal of Community Action Youth Services (CAYS). CAYS provides employment, housing, crisis intervention, outreach and youth development services for young people in Orleans and northern Essex counties, focusing on young people who may:
- Be homeless or at risk of homelessness
- Lack appropriate social skills
- Lack basic needs (clothing, materials for proper hygiene, etc.)
- Lack transportation
- Be a runaway or considering it
- Lack caring relationships with adults
- Have feelings of helplessness and hopelessness
- Be experimenting with drugs and alcohol
- Not feel a sense of connection to the community
- Be poorly prepared for the workplace
- Have some serious shortcomings in basic life skills
- Have dropped out of high school or be at risk of doing so.
CAYS is a division of Northeast Kingdom Community Action, and is based in Newport and Canaan.
PO Box 346 70 Main St.
Newport, VT 05855
Essex County Teen Center
Phone: (802) 266-7134
253 Gale St.
Canaan, VT 05903